Jobs for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Supplemental Instructors/Tutors for 2016/2017 Academic Year
Deadline: March 18, 2016
Scholar's Studio offers first-time freshman interdisciplinary, problem-based learning. To support participants' development as scholars, we embed peer tutors in gateway courses. Supplemental Instructors/Tutors attend class with scholars and offer group and individual tutoring sessions outside of class. We have a strong need for Supplemental Instructors/Tutors in English and Math but are also interested in hiring tutors for other academic areas, particularly the sciences.
Duties and Expectations
- Attend class in assigned subject area with Scholar's Studio participants: take notes related to course content and assignments; assist professor (when appropriate) with handing out course materials, taking attendance, and leading small group discussions.
- Offer supplemental instruction and tutoring sessions outside of class: meet students in small groups and individually to review course material, brush up on discipline-related skills, and discuss research and study strategies.
- Complete administrative duties: document attendance during supplemental instruction and tutoring sessions; complete bi-weekly time sheet; submit weekly plan to supplemental instruction manager; administer mid-semester survey to SI and tutoring participants.
- Build professional relationship with faculty and Scholar's Studio participants: maintain an open line of communication with faculty; provide students with a weekly supplemental instruction agenda; maintain consistent contact with students in person and electronically.
- Attend 2-day mandatory training session (held at the end of August) and monthly meetings with SI manager.
- Earned A or B in courses related to supplemental instruction/tutoring content area.
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Undergraduate with 30 or more credit hours OR graduate student.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Pay rate: $12/hour for undergraduates; $15/hour for graduate students
- Hours: Supplemental Instructors and Tutors commit 8-20 hours/week. Weekly hours are determined by tutor's availability and program's need.
- Contract length: contracts are awarded on a semester-to-semester basis. Renewal is dependent on job performance and program needs. Expect to begin employment during the first week of the semester.
- Submit electronic application.
- Email resume and unofficial transcripts to email@example.com.
- Share electronic recommendation form link with a faculty or staff member who knows you well enough to assess your academic and leadership ability.
- We expect to make final hiring decisions by the second week of April.
For more information, contact Lisa Nardi, Assistant Director of Scholar's Studio: firstname.lastname@example.org or (301)860-3297